How to Disguise a Bad Hair Day with Style

Today I wasn’t seeing clients, so I decided not to wash my hair, I also decided to give it a rest from hot styling tools which I have to use to tame it every day, but I still have to do the school and kindy drop offs and pick ups so need to keep it looking decent (after all, who wants to take advice from a badly groomed image consultant?).

So I decided to wrap a scarf around my head to cover up most of my hair.  It’s a long rectangle scarf, and I just tied a knot at the back to keep is secure.
It’s so quick and easy – I love it!
Interestingly the scarf, worn down on my forehead slightly, shortens my rather large forehead (my face is an Oblong or long oval)  and gives me an oval face shape which is flattering.

• Vildy says:

very stylish on you but good you left some hair peeping out else people who only have glimpsed you on the one day are going to feel sorry that you are battling cancer.

• Mervat says:

I think you look elegant, confident and I love that I can see your face without the clutter of hair (as gorgeous as your hair usually is). I would love to give it a go.

• Imogen Lamport says:

Vildy – I facilitate the Look Good Feel Better program at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne and spend some time showing the participants how to tie scarves – I know and appreciate the value of a little hair showing (plus you could see my hair at the back too).

Mervat – Thanks – it was nice not to have hair on my face for a change too – plus it was a cold day and it kept me a bit warmer. You should give it a go!

• Duchesse says:

This is a chic look on you and nearly anyone can wear it with variations.

• Imogen Lamport says:

Duchesse – so quick and easy – why didn't I think of it before?

• Ingrid Mida says:

C'est tres chic!

When I was in Paris, I saw an exhibition about war-time fashion. One reason why turbans were so popular during WWII was because it was a way to disguise dirty hair.

• ~Tessa~Scoffs says:

This is great! You look so chic and elegant. I've often tried to pull off this look but I get a lot of weird looks. Recently, though, the school children had a long outdoor walk and picnic as part of their year end celebrations and I wore an over sized bandana over my unwashed hair. I don't know if I pulled it off but at least my scalp didn't get sunburned!

• Sal says:

Ach, it looks GORGEOUS, Imogen! With my new 'do, I have to employ headbands at the gym and they don't look half so lovely on me.

• Alison says:

you are gorgeous! love the scarf–very chic

• embellessiment says:

I wish I'd look as good as you with a head-scarf :)

I'm following your journal for quite some time now, and it does definitely help me out of tight spots fashion-wise!

Eventhough I'm peeking around some time now, I've still not quite worked out some of my fashion-struggles. Would you mind if I send you an email with some questions to help me out?

• Imogen Lamport says:

Ingrid -in times of need women turn it into a new fashion!

Tessa – a sunburnt scalp hurts!

Sal – I can't wear a headband – I look ridiculous, but the wide scarf seems to work.

Alison – thanks for coming by and commenting!

Embellessiment – ask away and thanks for de-lurking!

• cciele says:

That's a great option to unwashed hair dilemma! You look very chic.

I'll definitely try this one out, but first I need a suitable scarf :)

• tiffany says:

You look great like that! Every time I try that look (I also have a high forehead) I look entirely bizarre …

Completely off topic, did you see that Country Road have a new brand for over 40s? What I wish is that they could use models over 25 to show it!!

• Imogen Lamport says:

Cciele – find a scarf and do it!

Tiffany – I think it depends on the size of the scarf – the one I used has a little stretch and is a wide rectangle shape.

I hadn't seen about the new Trenery stores Country Road is opening in September – but look forward to it – hope their designs are more interesting than the current CR ones are now! Interestingly, did you know that CR head office used to reside on Trenery Cresent in Abbostford in Melbourne (round the corner from where I used to live) so I guess that's where the name came from!

• Elaine says:

It looks so good on you! I wish I could pull that off. I tried and it didn't look very good on me at all!! My face is too square/round for it I think. It's too bad because like you said, it would've been the perfect disguise to a bad hair day..

• Anonymous says:

No offense here, you are beautiful, but scarves like that really do make people do a double take wondering if you have cancer. I like the "idea" of a scarf…maybe the way Jackie O wore them?

• Imogen Lamport says:

Anonymous – I like to take the stigma away from wearing scarves as something only cancer patients do. Normalise it.

• s. says:

Looks fabulous! And, yes, when the rest of us start wearing pretty things on our heads, then cancer patients won't be stared at quite as much when they do; it's a win/win situation!

• Sherilyn says:

Want to know how you tied it and what size scarf you need. I’d like to give it a try as I have an oblong face as well.

• Meredith says:

I have a softened heart/diamond shaped face and I really need hair around my temples. I’d like to have some tips for bad hair days for us diamonds. I never pull my hair back without some hair around my temples.