How to Choose Colours – What’s Your Colour Personality?

I was reading a post over at Privilege the other day and LPC mentions how she prefers to wear neutral colours rather than most of the colours of the rainbow, some light blues excluded.  It led me to thinking about how different personality types prefer different colours.

So I thought I’d do a series of posts on choosing colours based on your personality  (rather than just your colouring).  No matter what your colouring, these personality traits can be expressed in a harmonious way with your colouring.  Even if you do prefer neutrals, you will still want to choose the most flattering neutrals to enhance your skin, hair and eyes, rather than the neutrals that wash you out.

So thinking about personality, you may find that you tend to fall into one of the following groups when choosing colours.

1. Neutrals are the basis of your wardrobe, you may bring in some light blues, or the occassional piece of burgundy, but really you are most comfortable when colour is not too apparent.
  2. You identify with the colours of nature, soft greens, blues, sand, oatmeal, rust, sage, earthy browns, forest green.  These colours are low key, but still coloured, you may consider some to be a little smoky and softened.
  3. You love colour to add drama to your outfit.  Black and red, and black and white are favourites.  Hot pink, orange, cobalt blue are all colours that you are drawn to.
  4. Mixing it up is something that appeals to you.  You will wear out all sorts of unusual colour combinations that others would fear to try.  No colour is off limits, but you are less likely to look for the high contrast, and go for a lower contrast, it’s an interesting and different combination that appeals, not one that necessarily smacks you in the face.  You may also prefer your colour in a pattern rather than solid blocks.
  5. Soft light colours appeal.  Pastels are a favourite.  Baby pink and blue, champagne and cream, lavender and periwinkle all put a twinkle in your eye.
  6. Fresh colours make you feel alive, apple green, watermelon red, fuschia, zesty lemon,  turquoise and peach, the names make you drool and the colours make you happy.  You will tend to team one of these with a neutral so that you’re not overwhelmed by the colours.

So when you read the above statements which appeals to you the most?

Tomorrow I’ll elaborate more on the 1st type.

Pic: these are my colour swatches from my colour system

Comments

1. I am definitely #3! This sounds like a really interesting concept and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on each type.

2. I'm really looking forward to this, and thanks for the mention. I have spent the Easter weekend with my sister, mother, and step-sister, laughing around the dinner table about our colors:). Mu mother and my sister have the exact same coloring, but, as you say, different color personalities.

3. I'm not sure I exactlyfit any of these. I love colour, believe neutrals only exist to show of colours properly, but I'm less than a 3, I like to tone down the drama a bit. But not pastels either. I live in purples, deep pinks, rich blues, blue greens .. not only do they suit my colouring but I feel happy when i wear some strong colour with a balancing neutral or somethingthat blends beautifully (like deep pink and deep violet) What does that make me?

4. I'm definately #2, however haven't got much of the blue in my wardrobe as yet, however recent fabric purchases have interestingly included 3 different blues.

5. Gorgeous photo of your color system! I'll be interested to see your next post(s) around this topic.

Lynne basically wrote my response for me…though we differ as I'm still in the midst of Project Wean Self Off Black.

Amusingly/irritatingly, my closet balance hasn't caught up with my new direction–it's still heavy on the "classic" safety zone shades–but currently I'm happily wearing color-color and embracing the ability to zigzag from a monochromatic grey look to a sorbet shadeapalooza.

6. tiffany says:

I can't really do pastels, although I do like white jeans in summer. I'm actually drawn to some colours that really don't suit me, which I find a bit depressing …

7. metscan says:

Like Lynne, I can´t recognize myself in any of the six mentioned. Grey is the one I like most, not all greys, then the color of amethyst, powdered baby pink, a very pale yellow, a coffee bean brown and black, but not right next to my face. So, where do I fit in?

8. lin3arossa says:

I'm definitely number 3. I'm curious to read your take on it :)

9. Shelley says:

Given that I'm a Gemini, can I have two numbers, please? If so, I'll have 2 and 5. Love your blog!

10. I'm afraid I mix and match… I'm 1, 2 and 5. so basically I don't go for popping colours. unless, as I have realised, it's a very classic outfit. then I try to break it down a little by adding unexpected, bright pops of colour.
    so what does that make me?

and btw., I'm reading you for a long time already, just so far always have shied away from commenting.

11. RuthieK says:

I'm a #6. Wearing neutrals makes me feel really 'blah'. I was draped and am a Clear Spring. I love those colours so much!

12. Hmm, I'm definitely a 4 in your grouping, at least most of the time. I like combining colors, I like wearing of a range of colors, and no color is off limits. I do occasionally go for high contrast, but usually not. Every time I say I don't wear something I find myself drawn to it.

13. Margaret says:

#6 definitely! Neutrals make me feel blah and depressed, need color to liven things up.

14. Nancy K says:

I am a number 3 too. Though I let the dramatic color go by me too often. I am working on this!

15. Rosina at Middle Ageless says:

I am 1 and 2. I love all the neutrals and sea/sand colours. I also like pale pink, lavender and mint green. I have MCPD – multiple colour personality disorder. I really do not do well in burgundies, bright pinks, blues or oranges. Can't wait to check back…

16. Oh, I'm defintely a #4! Looking forward to seeing all these posts.

17. adressandabike says:

I don't really recognise myself amongst any of them. I like high-contrast, unusual colour combinations and tend to shy away from neutrals. Hmmm…

18. ChristineB says:

#2, no question.

Lynne, you may be a more modified version of a 3, or even a combination of 3 and 4 or 3 and 6.

Tiffany, you can always decorate your house in those colours!

Metscan – combination of 1 and 5 I think.

Shelley, of course you can be a 2 and 5!

ADressandBike – you sound like a combination of 3 and 4

20. pregnantmom says:

Another #4 here! To think that 10 years ago I mostly wore black because I didn't know how to mix colours and what looks good on me… I'm looking forward to your posts.

21. I am much more given to liking the colors in my "personality" palette rather than those in my physical color range. I tried the muted, dusty things and I just don't feel like "me" at all. I feel drab, miserable and uninspired!

Style trumps all, and I'm keeping to the more eclectic color palette for now.

22. I am trying soooo hard to wait for mine LOL!! I am pretty sure I am a deep winter and I love bright, deep colors! :-)

23. The Luxe Junkie says:

Hello! I just stumbled upon this post via Google, and I wonder what category you would place me in. None of the six presented seem to match up with my wardrobe choices that much. My wardrobe includes lots of blacks, but I always like to include a pop of colour – burgundy, ruby red, deep teal, fuschia, etc.

The closest category is probably #3, Bold & Dramatic – the personality traits suit me to a T. I can't say no to a pair of pointy needle-thin stiletto pumps – form always wins out over function in my wardrobe!

However, I hate bright colours and any kind of pattern with a passion – I much prefer clothing in solid jewel-toned colours. I refuse to purchase anything that has an animal print on it, and colours described as "bold," like orange or cobalt blue, typically send me running in the other direction.

I'd love to get your opinion on my colour personality!

Luxe Junkie,

I'd say that the Bold/Dramatic is your group. Not all dramatic's like pattern, but jewel tones with black are a look commonly loved by this group!

Thanks for reading and commenting.

25. So interesting! Thanks for pulling all the personalities together like this because I definitely am attracted to multiple. I am natural (often “feel” clothes before trying on, love my comfort, and as an I body shape, like texture/thicker fabrics!), feminine (love light blues, creams, the right shade of pink, a defined waist – again, being an I makes me focus on looking feminine – and associate with many of the words on that list, especially warm/nurturing), creative (quirky and experimental are huge parts of my personality! But I am *not* dramatic :)), and lastly, “fresh” (love a preppy pop of color next to a neutral, the clean, simple, conservative jewelry, etc., and for years primarily gravitated towards this personality).

1. […] now down to a bare bones wardrobe. I have been thinking about how to fill it in. Clearly my “color personality” tends toward #3 (You love colour to add drama to your outfit.  Black and red, and black and […]