Real Life Body Shapes – 8

One of my lovely readers asked me recently what her body shape, she was having trouble figuring it out.  I asked her to send me a photo which she did (in her underwear) and it was very obvious to me that she has an 8 shape body.  In her email she’s talked about hitting the gym because of her hips – but when I saw them I could see that she just has a high hip (often described as a ‘shelf’), which is the classic 8 shape marker.

I asked her if she’d mind if I posted a photo of her, and if she could take another in some clothing, which she has done for me, so here is a pic for you to see. It’s not quite as obvious in the t-shirt as it’s a little baggy around her waist (which is so tiny).

As you can see, her shoulders and hips are in balance (though some 8 shapes have narrower sloped shoulders, and wider hips, so should dress their upper body like an A shape, and lower body like an 8 shape).

Notice her high hip – I’ve marked it on this photo.  They often feel they carry their weight in the behind.

She carries her curve high, not lower down on the hips, like X shapes tend to.  Her legs are slim, and she doesn’t have saddlebags.

Here is another 8 shape, this one has similar width at the high and low hip.  She also has narrower shoulder than her hips, so will dress her upper body like an A shape.
How to dress your 8 Shape body:
  • Clothes that suit best have waist definition, and are straight through the lower half (not flared or A-line).  Most 8s find that anything boxy or square, without waist shaping tends to be too tight across their high hip area.
  • 8s can have either equal width shoulders to hips, or narrower shoulders to hips.  If you have a narrower shoulder line, read up on the A shape for dressing your upper body (don’t take the tips for lower body from the A).
  • You will find that straight or bootcut jeans work well.  Avoid wide leg trousers and jeans.
  • Slim, flat-front trousers work well.  Avoid pleats at the waist as they will be pulled open and create unnecessary bulk.
  • Skirts are best when they are straight, they can flare from the knee, but not from the hip to be flattering.
  • Avoid skirts that are gathered or pleated from the waist, unless they are that 1950s flounce style.
  • Cropped jackets work for you, as do belted styles such as trench coats.  If you want to wear trends like the boyfriend jacket, leave open, then belt over it.
  • Peplums were made for 8 shapes.
  • Double breasted jackets and coats are not good for 8 shapes, there isn’t usually enough shaping and the extra fabric creates bulk.
  • Try belting  over a long line cardigan in a fine knit.
  • Make sure that you don’t have obvious pocket detail over your high hip area, look for coats and jackets with pockets set into the garment, rather than stitched onto the outside.
  • Wide waistbands work well on trousers and skirts.
  • Feel free to try a variety of belts at your natural waist, if you have a shorter waist try a thinner belt, if you have a longer waist you may be able to do a wider belt.
  • You may or may not have a rounded bottom, though rounded bottoms are more common amongst 8 shapes.  If you do, avoid flap pockets on jeans.
  • Open necklines look great on 8 shapes, they draw attention up toward your face.  Look for detail around the neckline to help do this.
  • If you have narrower shoulders, look for puffed sleeves, shoulder detail and ruched sleeves to balance your bottom.

For more about dressing your 8 shape body read here.

Celebrities with an 8 shape body include Catherine Zeta Jones and Beyonce.

I’d love to do more Real Life body shape posts – so if you’d like to be featured, email me your photo (in form fitting leggings and form fitting t-shirt – even tighter than this one preferably – if you don’t have one peg it at the back to pull it tight) so that I can see if you are a great example that will help others define their body shape.

Comments

1. Imogen, thank you! I too have a high hip & never knew why A-line skirts didn't suit me but straight skirts were OK. Now I know. I recently sewed a wrap around skirt & it makes me look like the side of a house…same reason…it's flared.

Can 8 shapes also have larger thighs?

2. Amy R. Nelson says:

I tried to send you a picture, but I couldn't find a working e-mail address!

3. ChristineB says:

Based on this post, I am pretty certain (finally!) that I'm an 8, and if I can find my digital camera around here I'll snap a few pictures and see if you agree. I have slightly narrow shoulders, and I don't *think* I'm particularly bootylicious, but the high hip comment really got my attention. I've had my measurements taken in a laser body scan (for custom-made sewing patterns) and was shocked to realize that my high hip (3" below my waistline) was the same as my hip measurement (taken about four or five inches lower down). Then when I went back to your "What to Avoid – 8 Shape" post, it all clicked. As much as I adore pleated and gathered skirts, I look about 20 pounds heavier in them than I do in a more closely fitted straight skirt. And I have slender legs/thighs that look best in boot cut pants.

It's taken me a long time to come to this conclusion though, because I was convinced I couldn't be an 8 by comments in a couple previous posts. You mentioned in the earlier "Body Shapes Explained" post regarding a woman with an 8 shape that, "She'll find that she always needs to have the waist band taken in on pants and skirts," which is absolutely not the case for me. I find that anything that fits me well through the hips/butt is too tight across the high hip/waistline. It's the second biggest reason that I sew for myself – it's so hard to find RTW skirts/pants that fit both my butt and waist/high hip area.

I think I have finally decided I am a short-waisted, busty 8 after all. Yay for me! (Now *where* is that camera…?)

4. Thanks Imogen! Haha, I was sure I was an X until now.

5. anna, the netherlands says:

I`ll immediately send you a picture, I´m so curious.
    Thanks for making us more confident and beautiful.

6. Pearlaceous says:

Thank you, Imogen – actually illustrating the body shape on a real person is so helpful. I can really see what you mean about the high hip! I think I have one, too, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm an 8 shape. I have a small bone structure, small rib cage with C/D cup boobs, but I also have a flat bottom, short waist and quite broad shoulders, so maybe I am more of a V shape? Actual bust and hip measurements are the same though… Hmmmm! Would love to see more "real life" examples!

7. Nancy K says:

Your 8 shape has been a revelation. I am an 8 with narrower, sloping shoulders. Shoulder pads make a big difference. I have a rear end, low and flat, but definitely there! No wonder A lines don't flatter me! Thank you so much for this. It is particularly helpful to women who sew.

8. Brianna says:

I may be sending a photo along – I'm not sure if I'm an H, an 8, or something totally different. My shoulders throw everything out of whack.

This is REALLY helpful, by the way, to have a real person to look at. I get confused with all the descriptions.

(my CAPTCHA is "lardas". :( )

Yes, seeing a real person helps a ton! I am pretty sure I am an X – can someone with saddlebags not be an X??

- tall & slim anon

10. Jesslyn says:

I'll send you one at the end of the summer and beg for your analysis. I'm on a quest to lose some extra pounds I should have lost long ago and am very intrigued as to what's hiding under here.

11. Wow, that's a lovely shape. I'd do anything to look like this, but unfortunately I'm stuck with an A shape. My younger sister is a tall, pretty 8 though.

12. Totally agree on 8 shapes not looking good in A-line or flared skirts as I am one myself. I love the idea of analyzing real figures too – this is fantastic!

13. Heather says:

I tried to send you my photo but your email doesn't seem to be working…

Alison – Yes they can have larger thighs.

Amy – I'm getting emails from – it could be the size of your picture – sometimes they don't come through when they're too large.

Christine B – don't have to be bootylicious to be an 8, just have to have the high hip. It could be that you're wearing your waist bands lower, on your hips not on your natural waist which is normally significantly smaller than the hip measurement.

Pearlaceous – send me a pic!

Nancy – yes 8 can have either square or sloped shoulders.

Brianna – looking forward to your pic.

Tall and Slim – yes saddlebags can appear on different shapes not just Xs and As, but they are more common on those shapes.

15. Reading the post, and then the comments, I began to despair of ever figuring this out, because it seems too complicated an analysis. But then the light went on (I think) — is an 8 simply a short-waisted X?

Sisty – no the difference is the hip hip of the 8 vs the low hip of the X. 8s carry their weight mostly up high, just under their waist. Xs carry their weight lower down on their bottom and thighs.

17. Valeria says:

Imogen, thank you for this post! Finally, some clarity! I will try to send you a couple of photos, but right now I'm pretty sure I'm an 8, as I'm clearly seeing a "shelf". Finally I understand why most trousers that fit great in the lower hip and thigh area are too tight in the upper hip area. However, I don't have a problem with a fleshy butt (it's not small but it's slightly flat), rather my absolute worst area is the upper hip and lower tummy. I always gain weight there first. Is this possible for an 8 type? Also, you mention several times that 8s and Xs are mostly long waisted, but my waist is quite short (but long slim legs, so some compensation there I guess :-)) Can one still be an 8 and be short waisted? Finally, my top and my bottom half are in balance, although I used to measure my shoulders to my lower hips like they tell you to and invariably, the shoulders would seem to be a tad wider. I think, and tell me if that makes sense, that type 8 should compare their upper body to their 'shelf" area and not to their lower hips, because the upper hip is their widest spot. Does that make sense do you think?
    Thank you!!

18. Ineke (the Netherlands) says:

Thanks Imogen,
    so now I think I'm an 8, but mij hips are slightly wider than mij hips. But I do have lots of high hip.
    And I usually look nice in Aline skirts but I have some great looking dresses with a straigth skirt…

Can I be an 8 with X-ish hips?

19. Image Consultant Singapore says:

Love the stylish clothes shown here.

Ineke – yes you can be a bit of a merged shape. Dress each part of you in the shapes that fit best.

21. Imogen, thank you for such a wonderful site! I am a 5'3" (just!) shape 8, are there any further suggestions for the vertically challenged? Claire

Thank you so much! I've never been able to figure out my bodyshape before, but that first picture looks just like my body!. I've never heard of the body shape 8 before.

-Siri

23. Dear Imogen,
    please, is it possible to send you a photo to understand better if I'm definitely 8 shape or not?
    Thank you!

24. I can relate to the "high hip" but that's kind of where I stop — I have a very short waist and a rather large bust. Proportionally, I'm 5'2" but with a 32" inseam so essentially I'm all boobs and legs — that doesn't sound like an 8 to me but the V pics don't look like me either.
    Color me confused!

Heey Imogen!
    I just discovered your amazing site after spending ages on the net trying to find out what my body shape is – I think that Im a 8!Im short waisted and Ive got the high hips.Boobs are quite big , thick thighs and I have a big bum. My only doubt that Im not an 8 is – I dont really have much hips.(Well I guess Im still growing- Im 15) Im finding it so hard to find clothes that flatter my body.The outfits that you've suggested look great but I don't feel like they'll make my body look in proportion. They're all waist defining and Im scared that I'll look like I'm only boobs and legs.I really want to send you a picture but the email isnt working:(

Help please
    Kinda Regards
    Pati

26. Aileen Lane says:

Hi Imogen,
    I keep coming back to this post over and over again as I learn something new every time. The picture of the lady in the white vest makes me feel kind of ok with my tummy as I recognise the spare tyre below the waist and at the high hip. This has always been my big body peeve but I am deciding from now on to get over it and move on. This has also helped me immeasurably with my 8 shaped clients. Thanks you – I'm a fan for life.
    P.S. Also love your travelling light e book and I will be putting a review and link on my blog in the next few days – Check it out at http://www.nutri-style.com/blog

Hi, I'm an 8 shape (and relieved that a 'diagnosis' has answered some questions for me, thanks!)
    One of my major struggles is finding trousers that fit well, I think because of the high hip. So many trousers and jeans nowadays are low waisted and the waist really lands at the wrong part of my body – ie, where it's pretty big. My waist is lost, and underlined by a big muffin top. :-( Natural waisted trousers are pretty good but can give me a big expanse of tummy and rear. Would anybody recommend a best trouser in terms of the rise? I have found that a wide waistband and side zip help combat bulges in unhelpful places. Thanks. (ps I also have quite large thighs at the top)
    Lorna-M

28. I'm an 8 without extra weight at the high hip and the thighs of an A. Would be an X if I had a little more bulk between high hip and thigh.

29. ahh, I dont know if my bodyshape will fit in anywhere.
    Im more like a grail, ornated. :P
    my shoulders are square and boyish, bust large, waist small and then the high hip shelf and then a big low hip/bottom, which is much bigger than the shoulder width in circumference but not in frontal width. Im also slender-boned which makes it all more confusing because the tops will be slouching at the slim arms. we are probably all a little incoherent like this though.

30. Thanks for posting such useful information about real body types. I have the figure 8 body type, and usually wear the very clothes you recommend. Now I know why those styles work for me! I haven't seen this information anywhere else, and am so glad to have verification of what I've known all along.

31. I was once told by a dressmaker (when fitting my wedding dress) that the reason the dresses didn't fit me straight off the rack is that I had "high hips". I always thought I had a short waist and didn't understand what that meant. But my hips do jut out pretty much right below my waist, so now I get it. Trying to wear a wide stretchy belt is what helped me figure this out. (It rolls over because the angle is so sharp from my waist)

However, I'm not sure I'm an 8 because my widest measurement is still at my thighs. I also have a broad back and shoulders. I'm like an hourglass with high hips and wide thighs. I also have big calves. I keep trying to find a good body part to accentuate!! Advice?

32. Anneliese says:

I'm fairly sure I'm an 8, but would it be okay if I sent you a photo to see if I'm right?

And thank you soooo much for describing these body types – I now get why I have such trouble finding pants to fit!

33. WOW! I've never found a place that has accurately described my body type before. I've never felt that I'm an exact hourglass, in part because of my sloping shoulders and also because of the placement of my hips. So now I know I'm an 8, with sloping shoulders A top. This is so helpful. Thank you.

Imogen, is the 8 Body Shape the same as what is called a Spoon shape on other websites? Also, what advice would you give for a 5 ft. 2 in. tall size 6-8 petite figure 8 who has a short waist and long rise and does not have sloping shoulders? (shoulders, high hip and low hip measurements are exactly the same – 38 inches; waist is 28 inches; bust is 36 inches). Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you can give.

35. Imogen thank you so much! For the longest time I have known that my figure wasn’t one of the typical ones, this is so great to read and was extremely informative. Thanks also to the real life models who make it so clear to see 8 shape accurately. I’m much more confident about my body shape now!

36. Love this post! I’m a pear/8…this post was so handy! :)
    Melissa recently posted..Lazy daysMy Profile

37. I think I am an 8 but not sure. I am wider at the low hip but I do have a bit of roundness up at the belly button, too. I actually asked about this over at youlookfab but came away with split decision lol! http://youlookfab.com/welookfab/topic/humor-me-x-or-8-or-just-plain-hourglass I would love to know your professional opinion. I do realize that a lines and pleated skirts are not as flattering as straight ones as your guidelines suggest.

• Malina – I would say more 8 than X – not a really pronounced 8 – but you seem to have the high hip.

• Thank you! I have to say you are the first person to help me understand why a certain style skirt just does nothing for my shape – knowledge is power. Thanks again. :)

38. Faith Adama says:

How can I send my Picture to You, to be able to know my Body shape?

39. Thank you, Imogen. I’ve always found body shape advice to be inadequate, simplified beyond usefulness, or just not based in reality. Lacking a coherent way to describe or really think about my figure, I often find shopping for clothes dissatisfying…and then it’s hard to explain what went wrong! Somewhere between an 8 and an A for me. My sisters have similar concerns, and I know that they are going to love this.

40. Thank you, Imogen. I’m short waisted, but my legs are average length I feel that my decollete is very short, the pendant necklaces on models in the stores end up between the girls. I measured and I’m 10″ from bottom of chin to mid nipple. I feel so “chunky”, spaghetti strapped tops look hideous on me any suggestions for the summertime? My shoulders and hips are the same my bust is 1-2″ smaller than my shoulders and hips.

• Spaghetti straps tend to work on the narrower shouldered woman, and one with a small bust who is also not hip heavy. They are hard to wear for so many so you are not alone!

41. Hi Imogen

Thank you, I finally figured out my bodyshape. I am most definitely an 8.

My problem area is my waist. There´s a big difference between my waist and hips, but somehow my waist gets lost when I wear clothes and I always wear fitted clothes. Also my waist goes in and out in a very sharp angle, which makes my body look a bit strange. is there any way to dress to make my waist appear more curved instead of angular?

42. Imogen! Thank you! I am a figure 8/spoon and feel extremely grateful to have stumbled upon your site, so many fantastic suggestions!

I am v slim but I still carry that 1 or 2 kilo extra on my hips, love handles and lower abs. The tiny bit of overweight is concentrated in one place! What sort of swimwear do you suggest? Either one-piece or bikini?

43. Thanks for addressing the high hips! It’s a part of my body I always have a problem explaining to friends. My best friend in particular loves that you can see my hip bones but every time I wear the trendy “low-rise” skirts and jeans that hit at the “hips” I ALWAYS get that shelf look. It just makes me look lumpy. Especially under slim fitting dresses! I could use some advice for bathing suits. Contrary to your recommendations, I like A-line skirts, but of course let them hit at the waist (after they’ve been taken in). The high waisted trend really does me justice right now! I can see where some women would be able to wear straight skirts and pants at the hips, but I’m 6’0″ with a long torso (haha I’m just long everywhere aren’t I?) and I have a really small waist and narrow shoulders and practically no chest so I’m on the lookout for styles that actually work for me! Anything sitting at the hips usually makes my legs look short and with a long torso that’s a horrible look even if you’re super tall!

• Julie – you are an unusual 8 if you have a long waist – most have short waists! If you want to make your shoulders broader look for horizontal details like epaulettes on jackets, shirts with a yoke and wider necklines and collars.

• Okay, so I did some measuring of my proportions yesterday, and it turns out I actually do have a short waist- a really short one- but with a long rise. If I referred to it as “having a long torso” that’s because I have major issues with all those cute cut-out monokinis. That might just be me being a 6 foot amazon.

Speaking of bathing suits, what would you recommend for someone like me? Short waist, long rise, high hips BUT with a overall longer upper half (I determined a lot of that length comes from a long décolletage). I also have a small bust, sloping shoulders and I’m VERY slim, like a tall string bean with a butt. I posted a similar message on your swimsuit for your shape article but although the classic 50s one-pieces are adorable, I’d definitely stretch out the crotch region and I worry my tallness will give it that “this is my little sister’s bathing suit” look.

44. Hi, Imogen! Just discovered your blog, and am loving it. I notice that you’ve helped a few people on here figure out their body types/proportions by having them send in pictures, and I’m wondering if I could get a little help in that regard. I’m about 6’1″, 200 lb, and moderately athletic, and tend to have an awful time finding clothes that fit properly and flatter. I’m fairly sure I’m an 8, but I think I’m short-waisted; I certainly have a long butt. I know certain things reliably look great on me, but have difficulty with day-to-day wear – just looking to update my style!

Thanks!

• Kamela – many 8′s are short waisted and some have long rise too – you will want to look further than body shape at body proprtions – which are as important if not more important than body shape.

• Also Kamela, as someone who is outside of ‘manufacturing standard’ you will have great difficulty finding clothes that fit and flatter – you will need to factor in alterations, or having clothes made – you may find trousers particularly difficult to fit and so finding a great tailor could be your best investment.

45. Thanks for posting this. I’ve had trouble pinpointing my exact body type in the past from other sources. I always felt that I fell in between an hourglass and a pear shape as other places called them, because I had certain things on my body that seemed to have a little of both. None of the other body shapes seemed to actually fit me.

But this particular body shape-8, as you call it, fits me perfectly! I feel like I have even more ideas about things to try in the future for clothing. I really appreciate this. :)

46. Imogen, thank you very much for your precious post! So long I couldn’t understand why X clothes don’t suit me. I even started to think that I’m H shape. But now I clearly see myself on the pictures above. And all your recommendations work just amazing. ^_^

47. Hi Imogen! I love this post, as I am most definitely a slim 8 shape. It makes finding skirts so difficult, as the things in the stores are all A-line and hit directly at the waist, or else gathered/pleated. Is there any kind of gathered/pleated skirt that can work on 8 shapes? I love the look of a gathered or narrowly pleated skirt, but they bind at the waist and add bulk at the hips-not ideal. :(
    Also, I’ve found that wearing a circle skirt that begins an inch or so under the waistline really looks nice–flatters the hips and lengthens the waist. I think it’s the smoothness of the waistline that does it.

48. Thank you so much for this post! I have always been confused because I felt I didn’t belong in any of the regular categories. Sometimes I thought I was an hourglass because my shoulders are broad and I have pretty decent boobage but then I have this small waist that immediately flares out into my high hips then there’s a dip and flare out again. Before I got married I was pretty skinny, not much of a butt though it was round but almost nonexistent. After being married I gained weight and I have a round butt and my waist hasbecome more defined. I love my body but it can get frustrating when you feel like you are not the popular figure that suits popular trends. Btw I’m also 5’9 so I was often told I’m a skinny hourglass. Lol

• So many people who have not understood their body shape end up as an 8 shape – it saddens me that you are ignored by so many body shape systems!

49. Hi Imogen,

Thanks for this series (in particular and your excellent blog in general)! I was hoping you could help me determine my body shape, since I think I’m a combo platter. :)

I have straight shoulders and a short waist, with the high hip shelf of an 8. I tend to gain weight in my lower abdomen and thighs; the thing is, when I gain 5 kgs +, my widest part is my outer thighs. Does that make me a pear? I have a relatively flat rear, which tends to droop and grow by width (versus protruding). My measurements always grow and shrink in the same proportion, E.g. 36-28-38, 37-29-39, etc.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

• Ana – you sound like an 8 shaped A – so the shelf of an 8 but the bottom width of a pear. Sadly measurements are only a tiny part of the picture so without seeing you I can’t make anything more than a guesstimate.

50. Thanks for the prompt reply. :)

I do think I look more like the second photo you have here versus the A photos. My outer thighs go out, but not nearly as much as in the A photos. Plus when I’ve asked friends if I’m bottom heavy, nobody thinks I am. Though maybe that’s just the illusion of clothes, lol! I definitely look best in boot cut trousers and straight skirts; Flared/A line make me look much heavier on bottom than I am.

If I was to send you photos, what would be suitable attire?

Also, if I am a combo 8/A like you mentioned, which advice do I follow for each area (upper/lower body)?

51. Hi, I was wondering what body shape I am? Could I send u a photo? Thank you

52. i need help with my body type after i had my kids my hips became shaped funny i have this dip after my “shelf” any sugestions on how to hide it and look good??

53. hi, i have a high hip but very chunky calves. they make up most of what give me my hip shape. am i still a figure 8?

54. Hi

I am totally not sure what shape I am. I am 5’2 with a very short torso & long legs. I think i am an inverted triangle (broad shoulders not big boobs!) with not much waist definition. I actually have mild scoliosis so one side has some definition & the other is practically straight
    If I send in a photo, would you be able to help me work out my shape please?
    If yes, please let me know the email to send the photo to.
    I really hope you can help!! Thanks!!

• Sheena – you sound like you’ve hit the nail right on the head – V shape – it’s all about the shoulders to hips ratio for the V shape – and they usually have a short waist too!

55. Check out this blog for women with high hips and beautiful hearts!
    I am a violin recently posted..Having “wierd hips”My Profile

56. Hi fantastic artist
    I have a big problem with jeans .. Im 8 shaped with wide but flat butt .. They look like elephant butt !! What to do help plz

57. Johanna says:

Hi!
    I was hoping you could give me some styling advice; i’m aged 18, an 8 shape and finding it hard to find clothes that are age appropriate and dont look like i’m about to go to the office. What would you recommend i wear for casual and semi formal occassions? I live in a rural area in new zealand so finding styles that dont look too upmarket is also a challenge .
    Thanks!

58. Johanna says:

Oh i forgot to add that i weigh 109kg and that makes finding clothes difficult somtimes.
    So i guess i’m askng what is age, shape, and weight appropriate?
    Thanks :)

59. I’ve been trying to figure out my body shape for a long time… my measurements vary from a pear to an hourglass depending on the website I reference but I have never felt the results were accurate. All of your clothing recommendations are spot on to what actually looks good on me. Thank you for this post!

60. Michelle says:

I just wanted to thank you for this most! I’ve never seen my shape on anyone except for my mom and grandma. This helps me so much! I always wondered why my hips made me look so much bigger.

61. I think I am 8! I knew I was somewhat of an hourglass shape but what is confusing is that like an X and an 8, my widest point is my waist and hips. I don’t have any issues with my body except when it comes to bikinis and tight dresses but I only have myself to blame because I literally don’t exercise and eat whatever I want (I’m 20 and lazy) But I do want a bikini body I can feel totally confident in. I do want to send you a picture and see your thoughts.
    Kudos on a wonderful website!

• You can email me a picture here.

• Sorry! Don’t mean to be so annoying! I can’t seem to find a working email! I would just put in on here but I feel like you don’t get the full effect when I have clothes on and I’m not comfortable posting a picture in my underwear (even if no one can see my face). Is there an email I could try?

62. How can I send a picture?

63. Kristin King says:

Oh my goodness!! I have finally found my body shape!! I always referred to my hips at “shelves” because they are soo big and high(way bigger then the woman up top)! I still absolutely hate them but im glad to have finally, after years and years, be able to understand myself and the type of clothes a little better! Amazing! Thank you!

64. Isn’t this pretty much like the apple shape? Because girls with this shape have love handles and store weight in the LOWER tummy section? Like that whole section around the belly button. Not up high on the stomach, but low. They have thin legs too
    ?????????????

• No it’s quite different from an apple shape. 8 shapes have a defined waist. O shapes don’t

• Idk man, seems like it’s just a different apple shape
        All the weight is stored in the stomach area
        Although, like you say, 8′s have a defined waist, they gain weight in the stomach/belly button area.
        Pears and hourglasses maintain a thin stomach area

• LIan – you are right – many 8s do gain weight on their stomach, but some will gain over the buttocks and maintain their waist. The 8 has a high hip, they are not necessarily an overweight 8 (they can also be an overweight H shape). Some Xs and As will put on weight on their stomach – that’s dependent on body proportions. Sadly there is no one size fits all!

65. Oh my God THANK YOU!! I have always been so confused about what my body shape was until I happened upon our blog. Before today, I didn’t even know what the heck high hips were! I just thought I had permanent love handles or something. Thank you so so much!

66. Hi Imogen. I thought I’m a hourglass but somehow I have a large waist and if I put on some weight the bulge piles noticeably on tummy area. I doubt that my body measurement is deviating from the assumed figure in mind until your post introduce a new ‘spoon’ figure. I am enlightened that I might fit into this pattern. My shoulders are angular, slim forearms, slight tone thighs and proud to have round bottom. I’m at 33-29-37. And I like to know your say if I might fit into this shape? Thanks

• Cristal – you can be an 8 shape with slimmer shoulders than hips – quite common. Also, many 8s are short waisted so when they put on weight they lose their waist and become more like an H shape (straighter through the body). You will probably want to dress your upper body as an A shape (narrow shoulders) and lower body as an 8 shape.

67. Hi, I have a definite 8 shape. I am a size 10 with a small waist and that ‘shelf’ like hip, including an unsightly dip between my high hip and low hip. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on high waisted items of clothing for this body shape? (e.g. shorts, skirts, jeans…) My dilemma is, that especially with very tight things (which smooth out the fat) or looser things (which hide the bumps) high waisted clothing looks good. HOWEVER, because my high hip lies where most people would wear their high waisted items, it can also look rather odd wearing things up higher than they should be (of courseit looks terrible having them sit on your widest point so wearing them higher up is the only option!!) . Thoughts???

• It’s a tricky one – if you are tucking in sometimes it will make your waist look shorter, but if you wear high waisted with out tucking it can work. There is usually a sweet spot to end tops and have waistbands that is unique to each person, and something you need to figure out when looking in the mirror and trying a bunch of options.

68. Thank you so much for helping me figure out my shape! This has helped me to see my body so differently. I wonder if fellow 8′s have had the similar frustration with clothes becoming more and more low-waisted. I find that I have to get bigger sizes because I’m fitting things at my widest point (high hip) where many are fitting at their narrowest. My whole life people have been astonished at the size I wear (usually 12/14), and they assume I was much smaller. It’s made me a lot less frustrated in the dressing room to just chalk it up to my tricky to fit 8-shape, than the extra dessert I had.
    Imogen, I would love to hear your thoughts on how to dress in leggings/tighter jeans with an 8 shape. On one level, I feel like this is a good trend for me as I have long, thin legs (at least to mid-thigh), but is wearing the voluminous top a bad idea for an 8? Because I’m not feeling confident enough to do leggings on the bottom and form-fitting on top! I’m fairly small chested (B), but usually have to get size L in longer shirts to get around those hips. In the mean-time, I’m feeling like I need to scoop up all peplum shirts I see as it’s so flattering to my shape and it happens to be in style right now. Hopefully that trend will stick around.

69. Hi there,
    This is such a fantastic idea-I have tried & failed miserably over the years to work out my body shape. I’m really not sure if I am a 8 or a pear shape or hourglass, where do I email a picture for you to help me work this out please? I am getting so fed up with trying to buy clothes that flatter me instead of making me feel even worse about myself than I already do.

• Hi Babymona – you can send one here if you like. But remember, there is much more than just body shape that goes into choosing flattering clothing – it’s just one small part of the puzzle. If you’re interested in learning about you as a whole I’d recommend you do my 7 Steps to Style program which takes you through everything you need to know.

70. Hello, I’m pretty sure that I have an 8 body shape figure. This body shape explains my body almost perfectly other than the fact that my shoulders are wider than my hips. Would I still be considered this shape even though my shoulders are about 1 1/2 inches wider than my hips? Everything else about this description fits my shape almost perfectly. Would I still be considered an 8 shape or am I a mix of two body shapes? (most likely inverted triangle which I always thought I was) Thanks(:

• Christie – you can be an 8 shape bottom and V shape top – humans are not all exactly one shape! Just dress your shoulders with the information about a V shape, and your bottom half as an 8 shape.

71. I thank god for this web page you have created :) do you think you could write up a post on what this shape would suit swimwear wise. i am 19 years old, and have always looked at my shape different than anyone else. My hips store alot of weight, making me look like a muffin top when i wear jeans or anything I am a size 12 only because of buying clothes larger so my hips don’t show ! i have never worn a bikini because i have never been confident enough, i have given up in believing there is a swimsuit that will make me feel good. Also having smaller boobs makes my body so uneven. Help !

• Sounds like you are an 8 shape Kelsey – have a look at the posts here for 8 shapes! You look best in 1950s style swimwear – it’s made for your shape!

72. Thank you so much for writing this

73. Hi, there. I’d like some advice regarding the 8 shape. I’m most certainly an 8 shape; I have very high hips, etc., but I’m also very overweight – obese, actually. Every place I go talks about slim figure 8s, but not overweight ones, and being overweight, I can’t take the advice on straight skirts because they badly emphasise my lower abdomen. I’ve had good luck with a-lines, which you say to stay away from, so are there any other types of skirts you can recommend?

• Normally when 8 puts on weight they either become an H or an O, some may become more A shape too. So look at the guidelines for those shapes

1. […] post carries some bias: In addition to having wide hips, I have a long rise because I am a strange Figure 8/X Shape hybrid on the bottom half. I have a long, high hip with a low round curve and a very short […]

2. […] Från Imogen Lamports Insideout Style blog […]

3. […] the time. Other times I am an apple. But wait, I’m a bit eggplant too… :-S I think that this is a fairly accurate desciption of my body type, but the point of all this is to say that it […]