Co-ordinating Jewellery to Necklines

coordinating necklaces to necklinesIf the face is the ‘communication centre’ it’s really important to think about how to draw attention there.  Finishing off getting dressed so that you look ‘put together’ and stylish is helped immensely by what happens above the bust as it is close to the face.

Using a piece of jewellery in this area or some sort of embellishment helps create a strong focal point up high, drawing the eye up to your gorgeous visage.

Co-ordinating jewellery to necklines

To ensure that elements of design work well together here are some easy to remember points.

1. If the neckline is embellished, then avoid adding another necklace, instead opt for some earrings that relate to the embellishment.

2. If the neckline is high choose a longer necklace, one that goes at least to your first balance point, or even double that length if want a longer necklace.

3. If it’s a V (angular) neckline, look for necklaces with angularly shaped beads rather than curved, or a pendant that has an angular shape.

4. If it’s a Curved (scoop) neckline, choose necklaces with curved detail rather than sharp angularity.

8 Comments

• lyrebirdgully says:

Hi Imogen,
    Now I know why I have been uncertain about using my pendants (currently my least-worn jewellery category)… it's the shape! your point seems so obvious from the examples in this post, that I don't know why I didn't pick up on this earlier. Thanks again for bringing clarity to our fashion choices!

• Linda says:

Now that makes alot of sense to me! Good points.

• Mom on Health Patrol says:

Thanks so much…I've always wondered why sometimes a necklace works and doesn't work with various tops.

• LPC says:

If I had to pick one fashion issue I have figured out the least, this would be it.

• Duchesse says:

I often see women with too-short necklaces, regardless of neckline. As many of us mature, what fit for necklace length no longer does, that extra inch or two looks so much better. Many online vendors sell the same piece in 16 or 18 inch lengths, for this reason. Also,sometimes the weight of the piece is wrong, too flimsy or too heavy for the top.
    (Pearls of course are nearly always right, if at least 8mm.)

• Jesslyn says:

Very cool! Hadn't thought about the angular/v-neckline vs circular/round neckline pairing.

• Jeanie says:

I love how simple you make things! I used to try to add necklaces to tops with detail, now I head straight for the earrings. I also used to skip the necklace with a high neckline. I love trying longer pieces, it almost always looks great. =)
    Jeanie recently posted..Modelling my Steampacket Markets PurchaseMy Profile